Sunday, September 7, 2008

Pondering the Potter


I have received many beautiful messages, thoughts, verses and poems in the past two weeks form many different people. One of the poems related to my image of being a broken pot that God would choose to mend. You can read the whole poem at:
http://wandascountryhome.com/potter/
The last verses of the poem are:

Then the master looked down and saw a vessel of clay,
Empty and broken it helplessly lay.
No hope had the vessel that the master might choose
To cleanse and make whole, to fill and to use.

Ah! this is the vessel I've been hoping to find,
I will mend and use it and make it all mine.
I need not the vesel with pride of itself
Nor the one who is narrow to sit on the shelf.

Nor the one who is big mouthed and shallow and loud,
Nor the one who displays his contents so proud.
Nor the one who thinks he can do all things just right,
But the plain earthy vessel filled with my power and might.

Then gently He lifted the vessel of clay...
Mended and cleansed it and filled it that day.
Spoke to it kindly "There's work you must do...
Just pour out to others as I pour into you."

I searched for some of the Bible verses that refer to this same analogy.


Does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use, and another for common use? - Romans 9:21


... Who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it? - Romans 9:20



Woe to the one who quarrels with his Maker — an earthenware vessel among the vessels of earth! Will the clay say to the potter, "What are you doing?" Or the thing you are making say, "He has no hands"? - Isaiah 45:9

If a man cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work. - 2 Timothy 2:21

Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter: we are all the work of your hand. - Isaiah 64:8


I want so much to be a good pot and rest willingly in the Potter's hands. I find it difficult, especially when I make mistakes and decisions that I know are counter productive. But I guess that that is what being a broken pot is all about! Thank you all for sharing so much love and wisdom with me...I love you all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow graet post! Are you molding the clay? I've made some of those before!

Bev said...

Thanks, Mikayla. I am so glad you are reading my blog! The photos are just taken off the internet..just for illustration. I wish I knew how to make pottery, I bet it is fun! What does the clay feel like?

Anonymous said...

It feels really slimey and cold there's a few places where I need to let god mold me. You know what I'm talking about (wink wink)