Tuesday, August 26, 2008
I have come to a point in my life that I can no longer pretend that it is ok to ignore my physical health. I recognize that I have developed a whole range of unhealthy and counterproductive behaviors that include incredible passivity and an amazing ability to lie to myself. I am no longer willing to accept the consequences that result from the excessive weight. And I am no longer willing to accept the lie that I am a powerless victim in this struggle. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.I have made several decisions this past week that I believe will allow me to conquer this battle. I have signed up with a personal trainer named Connie who specializes in exercise, nutrition and diet. She works individually with clients and she is a strong Christian. She believes that God has gifted her with special insight that allows her to address spiritual and emotional issues while we work on the physical body. I start the program on Friday. I have also asked my friend Susan, who has been through several 12 Step programs, to mentor me through the 12 steps of Celebrate Recovery. I met Susan in the Single Adult Ministry (SAM) Sunday school class this year and have been inspired by her faith and strength. We will start the program in the middle of September. I will continue to work with the therapist that I have been with for four years. She has supported me through divorce, cancer and depression. I trust her and am indebted to her patience, her gentle nudging, her wise counsel, and her forceful challenges. I have seen God work through her in amazing ways as I have traveled this journey.In so many ways, I see myself as a strong survivor who has conquered my share of obstacles. This is the next mountain to scale. It is clear to me that all of the other work is culminating in this challenge that is both terrifying and exhilarating to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Awesome Mom! I am behind you all the way!!
Post a Comment